1fbd448c7c9224ebac48cf940eaf38d40dfb899032468364bd

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Antique Sewing Drawer turned "Seed Box"

This is a short post to show you a quick little project I did yesterday.

I started with this orphaned drawer from an antique sewing cabinet that I found at a thrift store for $3.

I designed a "antique seed box" advertising graphic in my Silhouette software
and cut it out of a piece of scrap vinyl. I then weeded out the letters so that I had a 'stencil'.
Using transfer tape, I put the stencil on the side of the drawer and pressed it down good.
Then I took a white paint pen and just painted in the open spaces.
I fully expected a lot of bleeding since the drawer is oak and has fairly deep grain.
I was pleasantly surprised when I took off the vinyl to discover minimal bleeding.
I only did one 'coat' since I wanted the wood to show through a little for a worn off look.
I thought about sanding it after it dried but I was afraid of ruining 
the unpainted surface so I just left it as it was.


I like how different the white on dark is versus black on a light background. The drawer is just as I found it (except a little cleaning) and that's why I decided to do it in white. For a little added dimension, I painted the flower a light aqua-ish blue. It doesn't really show up on the pictures but this close-up shows it a little better.

And here it is as it resides on it's porcelain throne,
Graced with creamy hydrangeas and perky blue flowers

A happy spot of Spring that makes me smile every time I see it.
From the Farmhouse

11 comments:

  1. I LOVE it!!! I've been having a ball with my new Silhouette and love creating images from antique graphics that look old like yours. Where did you buy your transfer tape? I bought a huge roll of it on Amazon and it didn't work at all. The vinyl wouldn't come off the transfer tape and stick to the glass I was trying to transfer it to.

    By the way, you've been tweaking your blog, and it looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you have been having a ball... and cranking out some AWESOME projects. :) I get my transfer tape (and vinyl) from Expressions Vinyl. I did some review reading when I first got my machine and most people said their's is superior quality and priced reasonably. I would agree with that assessment. I bought some vinyl at HobLob one time and it was a nightmare to work with. :(

      Delete
  2. P.S. - Please be sure the share this at Knick of Time Tuesday! The linky is still open!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Angie! I just linked up, thanks for letting me know it was still open. :)

      Delete
  3. I just was telling Ed yesterday that you do AMAZING things with "junk." This is another example. I love to see your projects because I'd never dream of doing things like that myself!

    By the way - your blog design looks great!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot tell you how cute this is!! Occasionally, I see something that makes my heart flip-flop and this did it for me. Lol!
    I'm in love with his idea! It puts me in mind of the wood tool box on my kitchen table which is one of favorite things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't this the sweetest thing! Found you on hometalk. I just got a Cameo for Christmas & LOVE it! Can't wait to create this design for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rachel, I tried to respond to the comment you left for me about my alphabet sign, but for some reason, I always get the emails back as "undeliverable". Just wanted to let you know, in case there's a glitch with your email address.
    Blessings,
    ~Angie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw you won the giveaway on Knick of Time and thought I would check your blog. I have signed up for your blog and look forward to seeing more of your inspiration. I love this idea for the sewing machine drawer. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  8. rouck through Rigid drawer boxes are built of materials that are exceptionally durable. Boxes are made from materials such as corrugated cardboard, cardboard, or Bux board. These are quite durable, not readily bendable, and firm. They don't give in under strain and can support a significant amount of weight. These boxes are great for delicate things or items that require extra assistance while being transported to the store.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to make my day with your comments!